Marketing Manager Sample Job Description
Duties of the Marketing Manager include: Managing all marketing for the company and activities within the marketing department. Developing the marketing strategy for the company in line with company objectives. Co-ordinating marketing campaigns with sales activities. Overseeing the company’s marketing budget. Creation and publication of all marketing material in line with marketing plan.
Get 51 Free Job Descriptions
The responsibility of the Marketing Manager is to manage the planning, development and implementation of the company’s corporate marketing strategies and communication. Responsible for leading research for Portfolio to ensure the organization understands its market position, strengths, opportunities and challenges.
Job Results, Essential Functions & Measures of Success
Corporate Marketing Communications
- Develops a comprehensive marketing, communication and public relations plan that will enhance the organization’s corporate brand internally and externally.
- Develops support materials to articulate organization’s brand (mission, vision, positioning), value proposition and core competencies. Ensures alignment of messaging across the organization and externally with customers.
- Responsible for leading internal communication including: company newsletters, Marketing tab on SharePoint, HR materials, executive materials, etc.
- Responsible for the development and management of corporate web site to ensure communication is aligned with corporate brand, value proposition, core competencies and capabilities.
- Supports development of custom presentations to communicate corporate brand, value proposition, core competencies and capabilities to strengthen positioning with new and existing customers.
- Executes marketing communication requirements for special projects such as trade shows, events, corporate initiatives, key business presentations, etc.
- Ensures Marketing is collaborating with the right partners and agencies to support corporate communications.
- Seeks regular input from Customer Innovation & Strategy Manager, leadership team and cross-functional counterparts to ensure the relevance and effectiveness of strategies and communication.
Measures of Success
- Quality of work clearly articulates corporate brand (mission, vision, positioning), value proposition, core competencies and capabilities both internally and externally.
- Communications are executed on a timely basis with a high standard of professionalism, creativity, and relevance.
- Internal and external messaging is connected and results exhibit a high level of competency and understanding of overall objectives.
- Partners and agencies are highly capable of supporting communication initiatives competitively and on a timely basis. Manager demonstrates effective use of budget toward these resources.
Portfolio Marketing Strategy, Tactics & Execution
- Manages Portfolio and provides actionable recommendations on product positioning, ingredients, new product development, line extensions, labels/packaging, etc.
- Participates in the development of Portfolio marketing budget. Manages and tracks expenditures against budget.
- Responsible for the development and management of portfolio web sites to ensure communication is aligned with brand positioning, selling features/benefits and product offering.
- Responsible for Retail brands’ social media strategy, tactics and execution including Facebook and Twitter (and potentially Pinterest).
- Supports Retail Sales Manager on marketing programs/promotions, presentation development and evaluation of return on investment of marketing expenditures.
Measures of Success
Supervisor’s observation that:
- Comprehensive marketing strategy, tactics and execution across touch points are aligned with corporate goals and objectives for portfolio.
- Manager demonstrates effective use of budget toward resources. Spending will not exceed budget.
- Branded communication (including branded web sites and social media) are consistent, on-brand and relevant to market segment.
- Marketing activities support Retail Sales Manager in growing brand awareness, sales and distribution for Portfolio.
Research that Provides Competitive & Consumer Intelligence
- Leads market research and monitoring of corporate competitors including positioning, product offering, new product launches, core competencies, capabilities, news (third party and press releases), etc. to ensure the organization understands its market position, strengths, opportunities and challenges.
- Leads market research and monitoring of Portfolio competitors including positioning, product offering, new product launches, advertising, promotions, news (third party and press releases),etc to make recommendations and manage Branded Portfolio marketing strategies and tactics.
- Leads primary and secondary consumer research for Retail brands to fully understand current and target consumers, their purchase behavior as well as product and consumption preferences. Primary research may include focus groups, surveys, etc.
- Develops, manages, maintains and enhances competitive insight database in a user-friendly format.
Measures of Success
- Company better understands its market position, strengths, opportunities and challenges based on comprehensive research and monitoring of direct competitors.
- Organization better understands the market position, strengths, opportunities and challenges of Portfolio based on comprehensive research and monitoring of competition.
- Research and monitoring results drive corporate and Portfolio communication strategy and tactics.
- Knowledge is shared cross-functionally and enhances the output of others and organizational results.
Formulates clear decision criteria; evaluates options by considering implications and consequences; chooses an effective option. Applies different types of decision-making strategies to fit the situation. Makes sound decisions in an environment of ambiguity and uncertainty. Discusses issues with, and get facts/opinions from, relevant individuals or groups to learn the real issues behind problems and subsequently provide optimal solutions.
Establishes relationships with and influences others whose cooperation is needed for success and actions, and over whom he or she has no formal authority. Identifies the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information.
Identifies what needs to be done and does it before being asked or before the situation requires it. Demonstrates perseverance and achieves results despite obstacles.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, business or related field and 3+ years of demonstrated marketing experience in consumer packaged goods (or related) industry.
GET 51 FREE Game-Changing Job Descriptions
Results-focused job descriptions are crucial for clarifying roles and expectations and are an integral part of creating high-performance organizations. This FREE e-book from Transformation Solutions provides the tools you need to write your own winning job descriptions plus 51 practical examples!
Get My Free E-Book